Even though non-surgical treatments require little downtime, many people report quicker healing and getting better results if they follow a stricter guideline to pre and post treatment precautions. Having a positive mental attitude is also very important for anything, including promoting healing. The following is a compilation of tips that will help you recovery best, though the list is not exhaustive.
Post-treatment recovery is dependent on how much rest you allow yourself to have, even with superficial skin treatments. Our bodies heal best with adequate rest and you’ll be surprised how much faster you heal.
Diet and hydration
An integral part of our philosophy is wellness as a foundation to beauty and youthfulness. A natural diet that is high in fresh, leafy greens, lean protein and fruits is key to healing and we should never underestimate the importance of proper hydration with at least 2 litres of water daily.
It’s difficult to resist dipping in the pool or heading out to the beach in tropical paradise like Bali. If you have to swim, try to do so after the minimal required downtime especially for facial procedures.
If you have face peels or other ablative laser treatments, it’s best to keep out of the sun, be diligent with the recommended daily moisturiser and a broad spectrum sunscreen of at least SPF30 to 40 + a good sunhat.
Beneficial vitamins for healing and recovery are Vitamin C. We have Vitamin IV (vitamin infusion) treatment available at the spa.
Smoking and alcohol
This severely increases your risk of infections and delay healing. Even though our treatments are non-surgical, it is advisable to refrain from smoking 4 weeks pre and post treatment, to promote overall wellness and encourage healing. A couple glasses of wine here and there is fine, but try to go easy on the booze even though Bali bar hopping is a tempting activity.
These are great for reducing discomfort after laser or to reduce swelling.
Always avoid :
- Perfume, aftershave, lotion, cream, oil or bleaching cream on the treatment area for 24 – 48 hours. Aloe Vera gel is permitted
- Products containing Retinol during the course of your treatment as this could cause an adverse reaction, unless otherwise recommended by your practitioner
- Deodorants or anti-perspirants in the treatment area for at least 48 hours (for IPL / laser treatments only)
- Exercise for 24 – 48 hours after treatment. Sweat glands are part of the hair follicleand sweating can lead to inflamed and infected follicles
- Unnecessary heating of the area for at least two weeks, including: Hot Baths, Jacuzzis, Saunas, Sun-beds and Steam Rooms
- Exposing skin to UV rays (sun exposure or the use of tanning beds) or self tan for at least two weeks
- Anti-inflammatory medication i.e. Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Voltarol and others for at least one week after treatment (skin treatments only)
- Exfoliating or peels for at least one week
- Waxing, threading, sugaring or any form of depilation on the treatment area during a course of treatment. The only approved method of hair removal following IPL or laser hair removal is shaving